Harris & Associates is providing complete program management services for Culver City Unified School District’s renovations across 10 school sites. Voters decisively approved the Measure CC Bond Program in June 2014, authorizing the District to issue $106 million in general obligation bonds. Harris has assisted in maximizing the bond dollars by adding approximately $11 million in State or other funds.
The District chose Harris to develop an overall program strategy regarding project phases, construction schedules, timing, budget, prequalification, construction manager procurement, construction material, building systems, and equipment.
Among the program’s many projects, Frost Auditorium is undergoing the most substantial upgrades. Harris is orchestrating modernization of the 32,000-square-foot historic auditorium, completed in 1964. The LA Conservancy considers the Organic Modern-style building one of the most breathtaking Modern buildings ever designed.
Harris will oversee many other projects from the bond program that will ultimately benefit 6,500 students. These include:
- Construction of a new two-story, eight laboratory science building for both the middle and high school students joint use
- District-wide HVAC project being added to all school sites to increase the comfort for students, faculty, and staff
- Numerous tenant improvement projects including the addition of new Maker Space classrooms at the elementary schools, new middle and high school library upgrades, new ceramics room, dance studio, sports medicine room, and many more
- Districtwide facility projects comprising roofing repairs, ceiling repairs, security system upgrades, plumbing and fixture repairs/upgrades, shade structures, drainage improvements, telecom systems, door repairs, signage, lighting repairs, and wall repairs
- Repairs, upgrades, and improvements to track, football, softball, soccer, and lacrosse fields, and the outdoor basketball courts
- Installation of new playgrounds for all the elementary schools
- Demolition of the former 28,000 square foot Natatorium aquatic space for future development
Beyond the Blueprints
Expansive upgrades across a district-wide bond program require significant planning with the District and project stakeholders. To this end, Harris’ comprehensive services have included:
- Being a trusted advisor in all bond related issues for the Board of Education, Division of the State Architect, the community, as well as the faculty, staff and students of the District
- Providing recommendations for budgets for all phases of the project and maintaining the budget to ensure all projects are included when the program is complete
- Developing the General Bond Program Report, updating the Long-Range Facilities Plan, and Bond Measure CC reporting
- Maintaining reporting systems for scope, sequencing, scheduling, budgets, and communication
- Serving as the focal point of all communication to and from all stakeholders including; client, design teams and the construction contractors
- Developing master schedules and milestone schedules for the program