Fremont Unified School District Measure E Program
Building a brighter future
Fremont Unified School District
Program + Construction Management
Students and teachers at Fremont Unified School District (FUSD) were getting an education they didn't want—about outdated classroom technology, leaky roofs, aging plumbing and hazardous materials. But Harris & Associates' program and construction management team is now helping them take back their schools and enhance their education with the recently approved $650 million Bond Measure E.
This general-obligation bond affects 42 school sites in this sprawling northern California district, with a student population totaling more than 33,000—and growing.
Harris & Associates will provide comprehensive program management services for new construction, expansion, modernization and renovation at each affected school.
FUSD has a long-range facilities plan that stipulates wide-ranging improvements throughout the district, including:
- Updating aging classrooms with math, science and computer labs for 21st century learning
- Upgrading electrical wiring to current safety codes
- Fixing and replacing leaky roofs, aging plumbing and restrooms
- Fixing and replacing aging HVAC systems
- Removing asbestos
- Repairing, constructing and acquiring equipment for classrooms, sites and facilities
- Adding classroom space to alleviate overcrowding
- Upgrading technology infrastructure, which will allow multiple classroom configurations and increase classroom electrical capacity to accommodate 21st Century Technology and Common Core Standards
- Upgrading utilities to include energy efficient building systems and controls
- Updating sewer/water lines
- Converting existing junior high school campuses (7th and 8th grades) to middle school campuses (6th, 7th and 8th grades)
Beyond the Blueprints
After completing similar work at nearby San Leandro Unified School District, Harris & Associates was able to quickly provide FUSD with a cohesive team of experienced bond program professionals. These specialists are combining their passion for their work with their expertise in education to bring students and faculty optimal environments for learning and teaching.